In Russia the National standard GOST 31340-2997 “Labeling of chemicals. General requirements” was adopted January 1, 2009. The standard sets out the labeling criteria for hazardous substances.
In Russia there are numerous legislative acts that pertain to chemical management. However, as Russia moves to align its legislation with the UN GHS, the following draft regulations have been approved and may become mandatory soon:
- GOST 30333-2007: Chemical production safety passport. General requirements
- GOST R 53856-2010: Classification of chemical hazards. General requirements
- GOST R 53855-2010: Classification of chemicals hazardous due their physical and chemical properties. Test methods for explosives.
- GOST 53854-2010: Classification of chemical mixtures for health hazards
- GOST 53857-2010: Classification of chemicals for environmental hazards. General requirements
- GOST 53858-2010: Classification of chemical mixtures for environmental hazards.
In Russia the consumer rights protection agency (Rospotrebnadzor) is responsible for the registration of certain hazardous chemical products. The agency also provides the latest consumer protection news, links and relevant documents.
GHS partially implemented. Slow progress towards full implementation.
All specific hazard text provided in Russian. Hazard text can be provided in additional languages upon request. Marketing text translation can be provided upon request.