Taiwan Publishes Revised Chemical Control Act
On January 16, 2019, the revised Toxic and Chemical Substances of Concern Control Act (TCSCA) replaced the previous Toxic Chemical Substances Control Act (TCSA). The revised Act contains 75 articles grouped into seven chapters, which includes additions on substances of concern, accident prevention and emergency response.
The following are some of the main changes noted in the revised Act:
- increased scope on covering “substances of concern,” in addition to toxic substances
- creation of a National Chemical Management Board for coordinating chemical policy
- establishment of a toxic chemical substances fund to finance regulatory support programs
- reduction of accident notification time from one hour to 30 minutes when using toxic chemicals
- ban on acquiring toxic substances and substances of concern through anonymous purchases (i.e. e-buying)
- established procedures for illegal gains from violating chemical safety regulations
- implemented stronger protections and rewards for whistleblowers
Additionally, 30 subordinate statues associated with the revised act will undergo consultation within the next year.
For further information regarding TCSCA or Taiwan GHS, please contact Nexreg!