CCCR 2001 Canadian Consumer Chemical Label Compliance
What is the CCCR 2001
In Canada, the law governing the labeling of consumer chemical products is the Consumer Chemicals and Containers Regulations, 2001. Health Canada's Guide to Canadian Consumer Chemical Product Assessment contains a great deal of information on the legislation. Here are a few key items:
"If a consumer can buy a chemical product in Canada through the retail distribution network, then that product must meet the requirements of the Consumer Chemicals and Containers Regulations, 2001, issued under the Hazardous Products Act."
"The following types of products are not subject to the Hazardous Products Act or its associated Regulations, since they are governed by other Canadian legislation:"
- medical devices
- nuclear substances
- pest control products
- tobacco products
"Chemicals used exclusively in the workplace are excluded from the CCCR-2001. Workplace chemicals are governed by the requirements of the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS), established under the Hazardous Products Act and associated Controlled Products Regulations. Chemical products used by consumers and regulated under the CCCR-2001 are exempt from WHMIS labelling requirements under paragraph 12(f) of the Act. But the converse is not true. All chemical products available to the general public must meet the CCCR-2001 requirements."
"The warnings required by these Regulations must be displayed in both official languages, that is, in English and French."
Sections of the CCCR 2001
The Consumer Chemicals and Containers Regulations, 2001 contains 62 sections. They break down as follows:
- Sections 1-3: Interpretation and General Provisions
- Sections 4-32: Requirements
- Sections 33-40: Toxic Products
- Sections 41-47: Corrosive Products
- Sections 48-54: Flammable Products
- Sections 55-57: Quick Skin-Bonding Adhesives
- Sections 58-59: Pressurized Containers
- Sections 60-62: Coming Into Force
Schedules of the CCCR 2001
The Consumer Chemicals and Containers Regulations, 2001 contains 4 schedules. They break down as follows:
- Schedule 1: Flashback and Flame Projection
- Schedule 2: CCCR Hazard Symbols
- Schedule 3: CCCR Container Leaks
- Schedule 4: Illustration - Standard Sans Serif Type
CCCR Hazard Symbols
The necessary label symbols can be found here:
CCCR Consumer Label FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
- Will a consumer label designed for the United States also be legal in Canada?
- Does my Canadian consumer label need to be in both French and English?
- Is my product governed by the Consumer Chemicals and Containers Regulations, 2001?
- Are any products exempt from the requirements of the CCCR, 2001?
- Can a product with an industrial label also be sold through commercial outlets?
- I'm not sure if my labels are compliant - can Nexreg audit them for my company?
- How quickly can you prepare my label review?
- What information do I need to provide in order to have a label produced?
Nexreg Compliance CCCR Canadian Consumer Label Authoring Services
Nexreg Compliance can author a CCCR compliant Canadian label for your product. For more information on Nexreg's CCCR label authoring services, please contact Nexreg Compliance or visit the following links:
- Canadian CCCR Label Review (English)
- Kanadische CCCR Kontrollen von Produktmarken (German)
- Revisión de Etiqueta para el Consumidor Canadiense (Spanish)
- Révision canadienne d’étiquettes du consommateur (French)
- 캐나다 소비자 라벨 검토 (Korean)
- Canadese CCCR Etiketcontrole (Dutch)
- カナダ 消費者向けラベルの検査 (Japanese)
- 加拿大消费标签检验 (Chinese - Simplified)
Canadian Goverment Links
- Consumer Chemicals and Containers Regulations, 2001
- Guide to Canadian Consumer Chemical Product Assessment
- Consumer Chemicals and Containers Regulations, 2001 - Hazard Symbols
- Technical Amendments to the Consumer Chemicals and Containers Regulations, 2001 (CCCR-2001)
- Hazardous Products Act
Contact Nexreg Compliance
- Toll Free: (866)361-3032
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nexreg USA: (206)418-6663
- Nexreg Canada: (519)488-5126
- Nexreg UK: +44 020 7993 5893