WHMIS Class A - Compressed Gas
WHMIS - Controlled Products Regulations: Class A - Compressed Gas (Section 34)
The legal text of the regulations in section 34 follows below:
CPR: Section 34: Class A - Compressed Gas
Any product, material or substance contained under pressure, including compressed gas, dissolved gas or gas liquefied by compression or refrigeration, that has any of the following characteristics shall be included in Class A — Compressed Gas listed in Schedule II to the Act:
- (a) a critical temperature of less than 50°C (122°F);
- (b) an absolute vapour pressure greater than 294 kilopascals (2.90 atmospheres) at 50°C (122°F);
- (c) an absolute pressure in the cylinder or other pressure vessel in which it is packaged greater than 275±1 kilopascals (2.71±0.01 atmospheres) at 21.1°C (70°F) or 717±2 kilopascals (7.07±0.02 atmospheres) at 54.4°C (130°F); or
- (d) in a liquid state, an absolute vapour pressure exceeding 275 kilopascals (2.71 atmospheres) at 37.8°C (100°F) as determined by the Standard Test Method for Vapor Pressure of Petroleum Products (Reid Method), ASTM D323-82, dated August 27, 1982.
SOR/97-543, s. 21.
WHMIS MSDS Reference Manual - Section 34
Health Canada's WHMIS MSDS reference manual for section 34 is available at: WHMIS Requirements of the HPA and CPR, CPR Section 34. One of the important points they note is as follows:
"The controlled products in this class include non-liquified compressed gases (e.g. nitrogen, air); compressed gases liquified under pressure (e.g. butane); compressed gases liquified under refrigeration (e.g. liquid nitrogen); and dissolved gas (e.g. acetylene is dissolved in acetone in a porous material in the acetylene cylinder)."
"All compressed gases in a cylinder are hazardous because of potential energy due to compression. For example, the force within a "standard" cylinder with an area of 0.954 m2 (1500 in2 ) and pressurized to 17,240 kPa (2500 psi) is 16.5 x 106 Newtons (3.8 x 106 pounds). If this expansive force was suddenly released in an accidental or uncontrolled way, such as through the shearing of a valve, a tremendous amount of energy would be released."
Nexreg Compliance WHMIS Canadian MSDS Authoring Services
Nexreg Compliance can author a WHMIS compliant Canadian MSDS for your product. For more information on Nexreg's WHMIS MSDS authoring services, please contact Nexreg Compliance or visit the following links:
- Canadian WHMIS MSDS Authoring (English)
- WHMIS Urheberrechtliche Überprüfung MSDS (German)
- Creación de MSDS - Canadá (Spanish)
- Création WHMIS MSDS (French)
- 캐나다 MSDS 제작 (Korean)
- カナダ MSDS の作成 (Japanese)
- Schrijven WHMIS MSDS (Dutch)
- 加拿大物料安全数据表编写服务 (Chinese - Simplified)
Canadian Goverment Links
WHMIS MSDS NexregWiki Links
Contact Nexreg Compliance
- Toll Free: (866)361-3032
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nexreg USA: (206)418-6663
- Nexreg Canada: (519)488-5126
- Nexreg UK: +44 020 7993 5893