Made under the Chemicals of Mutual Concern annex of the 2012 Great Lakes Quality Water Agreement, the countries’ are committed to:
– Promote the safer use of chemical substances and the use of technologies that will either reduce or eliminate the use of the Chemicals of Mutual Concern.
– Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of pollution prevention and control.
– Reduce the anthropogenic releases and the products containing the Chemicals of Mutual Concern.
The first eight products on the Chemicals of Mutual Concern list agreed by both Canada and the US are:
- hexabromocyclododecane (HBCD);
- polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs);
- perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA);
- perfluorooctane sulfonate (PFOS);
- long-chain perfluorocarboxylic acids (LC-PFCAs);
- polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs); and
- short-chain chlorinated paraffins (SCCPs).
For more information about the eight substances of concern visit Chemical Watch. Please contact Nexreg for more information about Chemical Compliance.