Philippines SDS Authoring
National Regulations Governing SDSs
In the Philippines there are three main agencies that govern the management of chemicals:
- The Food and Drugs Administration (FDA) under the RA 9711 (2009)
- Regulates Foods, Drugs and Cosmetics
- The Fertilizer and Pesticide Authority (FPA) under PD 1144
- Regulates Agricultural Chemicals
- The Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) through its Environmental Management Bureau (EMB) under RA 6969.
- Regulates Industrial Chemicals
The Philippines is moving towards GHS implementation among concerned agencies by adapting their existing legislation; which was mandated by a Joint Administrative Order NO. 01 signed May 25, 2009. Specifically for SDS authoring the 3rd Draft DAO for GHS outlines the “Rules and Procedures for the Safety Data Sheet (SDS), labeling Requirements and Hazards Classification under DENR Administrative Order No. 29, Series of 1992 of Republic Act 6969 for the Adoption and Implementation of the Globally Harmonized System (GHS)”.
The Philippines is currently implementing the GHS system within their legislation. Besides those agencies and legislative acts listed above there are a number listed in Joint Administrative Order NO. 01 also responsible for chemical management and safety being affected by the change to a GHS based system.
For the Philippines Inventory of chemicals:
- The Philippine Inventory of Chemicals and Chemical Substances (PICCS)
- Lists all the chemicals and chemical substances used in the Philippines
- Can be found online http://emb.gov.ph/internal/CasREgistry.aspx
For the Philippines Rules and Transport of chemicals:
- Department of Transportation (DOTr)
- Coordinates and monitors the rules and regulations for the proper handling of chemicals and dangerous goods in transit
- Is now implementing GHS through UN Model Regulations (TDG)
GHS Implementation Status
The Philippines has adopted the UN GHS system, and it is currently being implemented. In May 2015, The Department of Environment and Natural Resources issued the implementation dates for GHS rules and procedures for SDSs and the La belling of toxic chemicals. Substances must comply with GHS by 2016 and mixtures must comply by 2019.
Substances and compounds on the Chemical Control Order and Priority Chemical List must comply with GHS by 2016, high volume chemicals by 2017, and substances on the International Air Transport Association and International Maritime Dangerous Goods lists by 2018. Other chemical mixtures must comply by 2019. (Source: 3eCompany)
Multi – Jurisdiction SDS Options
Combining Philippines SDSs with other jurisdictions is not recommended.
Nexreg is very professional, knowledgeable, responsive and provide terrific service. Nexreg authored both our North American MSDSs and European SDSs as well as provided industrial label reviews for Canada and Europe. We consider Nexreg an extension of our staff.