A REACH update from Electronics Design, Strategy, News:
The EU (European Union) environmental NGOs (non-governmental organizations) through the International Chemical Secretariat has released its “Substitute It Now” (or aptly acronymed “SIN”) list of 220 chemical substances considered to be possible Substances of Very High Concern under REACH (Registration, Evaluation, and Authorization of Chemicals).
As a reminder, REACH began on June 1, 2007, and aims to streamline and improve the former legislative framework for chemicals in the EU. Under REACH, manufacturers and importers must register substances they produce or import in quantities of one ton or more per year per company by end of 2008. These companies may not use any substance that REACH determines to be a Substance of Very High Concern in products unless granted authorization.
Electronics supply chain watchers at Design Chain Associates reported that the SIN list was introduced at a conference held Wednesday in Brussels. The European Chemicals Agency had published a proposed list of 16 substances earlier this month. Design Chain Associates had its director of EU law and policy, Kris Pollet, at the Brussels meeting and reported that the European Chemicals Agency expects the first candidate list to be approved on October 22.
- Anthracene CAS No. 120-12-7
- 4,4′- Diaminodiphenylmethane CAS No. 101-77-9
- Dibutyl phthalate CAS No. 84-74-2
- Cyclododecane CAS No. 294-62-2
- Cobalt dichloride CAS No. 7646-79-9
- Diarsenic pentaoxide CAS No. 1303-28-2
- Diarsenic trioxide CAS No. 1327-53-3
- Sodium dichromate, dihydrate CAS No. 7789-12-0
- 5-tert-butyl-2,4,6-trinitro-m-xylene (musk xylene) CAS No. 81-15-2
- Bis (2-ethyl(hexyl)phthalate) (DEHP) CAS No. 117-81-7
- Hexabromocyclododecane (HBCDD) CAS No. 25637-99-4
- Alkanes, C10-13, chloro (Short Chain Chlorinated Paraffins) CAS no. 85535-84-8
- Bis(tributyltin)oxide CAS No. 56-35-9
- Lead hydrogen arsenate CAS No. 7784-40-9
- Triethyl arsenate CAS No. 15606-95-8
- Benzyl butyl phthalate CAS No. 85-68-7
Click on the above link for the full article. Nexreg has more information on REACH at the following link:
To speak to a Nexreg representative about how REACH will impact your company, please call or e-mail Nexreg at:
Nexreg Toll Free: 1-866-361-3032
Non-Toll Free: (519)488-5126 (London, ON, Canada)