The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) aims to protect the public from unreasonable risks of both injury and death associated with the thousands of consumer products under the agency’s jurisdiction. To be introduced to the market everything must comply to an agency list of manadatory standards. If your company does not follow these standards, you are likely to face consequences.
In the article, Five Steps for Compliance with Consumer Product Safety Standards, David Callet provides five rules to help assist companies with CPSC compliance standards:
Callet’s five steps to being CPSC Compliant are:
1. Make sure your company follows and is compliant with the “voluntary” product safety standards.
2. Have all your products tested by an accredited third-party testing lab to make sure they are CPSC approved.
3. After the testing, make sure you issue the appropriate certificates of compliance.
4. Develop internal communication capabilities to permit rapid response to any products that may be non-compliant.
5. It is your duty to timely report any products that are not compliant with the CPSC standard. If a product does not meet CPSC standards and presents an unreasonable risk of injury or death, you must notify CPSC within 24 hours.
For more information, please find the article link above. Please contact Nexreg for more information about CPSC Compliance.