Health Canada is advising consumers that high levels of lead continue to be found in a wide variety of children’s jewellery products sold in Canada. Children can ingest harmful amounts of lead when they chew, suck or swallow jewellery items containing lead, as lead is very toxic to children even at low exposure levels. Simply wearing a jewellery item with lead does not present a serious risk to health because there is minimal lead absorption through the skin. In addition to lead, Health Canada is also concerned that cadmium, which is a carcinogen, may be increasingly substituted for lead in inexpensive children’s jewellery.
For more consumer information on this issue follow the link above.
Relevant Nexreg Compliance Links: CCCR compliance, WHMIS MSDS authoring, MSDS authoring