From EurActiv.com – US embarks on EU-style review of toxic chemicals:
* All chemicals need to be reviewed against safety standards that are based on sound science and reflect risk-based criteria to protect human health and the environment
* manufacturers must develop and submit hazard, use, and exposure data demonstrating that new and existing chemicals are safe
* risk management decisions must pay special attention to exposure and effects on groups with higher vulnerabilities, particularly children
* emphasis on timely assessment and action on priority chemicals, both existing and new ones
* encouraging innovation in green chemistry and ensuring transparency and public access to information
* ensuring that the EPA receives sustained funding for implementation
On this last point, the agency notes that “manufacturers of chemicals should support the costs of Agency implementation, including the review of information provided by manufacturers”.
Click on the links for more information.
Relevant Nexreg Compliance Links: CPSC compliance, OSHA MSDS authoring, MSDS authoring