This news update on dihydrogen monoxide is brought to you by The Prince George Citizen.



For the past few years, I have been using the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for dihydrogen monoxide in class. MSDS are required of the manufacturer and outline the known hazards and first aid treatment for the chemical listed. This sheet included such lines as:


“Potential Health Effects: The toxicological properties of this material have not been investigated. Use appropriate procedures to prevent opportunities for direct contact with the skin or eyes and to prevent inhalation.”


And under “First Aid Measures”:


“Eyes: Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower lids. Get medical aid immediately.”




“Ingestion: If victim is conscious and alert, give 2 – 4 cups of milk or water. Get medical aid immediately.”


There was even a note to physicians to “treat symptomatically and supportively”.


Yes, these sheets warn us about this dangerous industrial pollutant, a product of combustion, known to cause human death and disease. The government wants to ensure that anyone coming in contact has appropriate and immediate treatment.


This, of course, could explain the aversion that many young children have to taking a bath. They know that their parents are trying to immerse them in an industrial waste product without the proper care and attention to the possible health consequences.


Dihydrogen monoxide is water. And although we don’t usually think of water as an industrial by-product or a toxic waste material, it is. Indeed, water accounts for many more direct deaths than any other chemical compound.



For more informtion on dihydrogen monoxide, please visit The Prince George Citizen link above.  Contact Nexreg or MSDS services.